Each student in the district is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which s/he resides. However, you can request to go to another district by following the process for a 'Choice Transfer'.

Choice Transfers

Here is how the new process works:

Parents fill out a form (see types of transfers below and forms) and email, mail or deliver it to the school district in which they currently reside. It then gets entered into the 'Choice Transfer system' and electronically sent to the requested district. The parent will receive an email when it is sent to the requested district and when the requested district accepts or denies the request.

**Please note: Some districts have deadlines to turn in your 'Choice Transfer' forms, please allow up to 72 hours for processing once you have turned in your form at the administration office.

Forms must be done every year.

Types of transfers:

Choice Transfer - This transfer is if your child is transferring out of the district 100%.

Inter-district Agreement - This is if your child will be attending here part-time and another district part-time.

Reasons for transfers:

  • The student's financial, educational, safety, or health conditions would likely be improved as a result of the transfer.
  • Attendance in the nonresident district is more accessible to the parent's/guardian's place of work or to the location of child care.
  • There is a special hardship or detrimental condition.
  • The purpose of the transfer is for enrollment in an online course or school program offered by an OSPI-approved provider.
  • Parent/guardian is an employee with the requested school district.

Special notes: Transfers must be granted if the student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee unless:

  1. The student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;
  2. The student has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or
  3. Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the district (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until s/he completes her/his schooling).

If the request for transfer is denied, the parent or guardian may appeal to the superintendent for review.

If you are unsure which district you reside in you can go to Snohomish County assessor page or contact transportation department at 425.335.1508.

Questions may be directed to Laci Sturm, lsturm@gfalls.wednet.edu or 360.691.7717.