Each student in the district is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which s/he resides. However, you can request to go to another district by following the process for a ‘Choice Transfer’.
In the fall of 2014 the Variance process changed, it is now called a ‘Choice Transfer’. Here is how the new process works:
Parents fill out a form (see types of transfers below and forms) and email, mail or deliver it to the school district in which they currently reside. It then gets entered into the ‘Choice Transfer system’ and electronically sent to the requested district. The parent will receive an email when it is sent to the requested district and when the requested district accepts or denies the request.
**Please note: Some districts have deadlines to turn in your ‘Choice Transfer’ forms, please allow up to 72 hours time for processing once you have turned in your form at the administration office.
Forms must be done every year, so schools can maintain a tracking system for enrollment counts.
Types of transfers:
Choice Transfer – This transfer is if your child is transferring out of the district 100%.
Inter-district Agreement – This is if your child will be attending here part-time and another district part-time.
Intra-district Agreement – This is when your child remains in the resident district but transfers schools. Granite Falls School District has an elementary school transfer agreement.
Elementary Attendance Area Map
Elementary Attendance Area maps are posted in both elementary schools, at the Administration Office and are available online (pdf).
Reasons for transfers:
- The student’s financial, educational, safety, or health conditions would likely be improved as a result of the transfer.
- Attendance in the nonresident district is more accessible to the parent’s/guardian’s place of work or to the location of child care.
- There is a special hardship or detrimental condition.
- The purpose of the transfer is for enrollment in an online course or school program offered by an OSPI-approved provider.
- Parent/guardian is an employee with the requested school district.
Intra-district transfers (between elementary schools):
The principals of both elementary schools will consult with each other to determine:
- If space is available;
- If there are programs and/or services available to improve the student’s situation as stated on the transfer form; and
- Whether the student’s transfer is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other student’s or staff at the new school.
Special notes: Transfers must be granted if the student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee unless:
- The student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;
- The student has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or
- Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the district (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until s/he completes her/his schooling).
If the request for transfer is denied, the parent or guardian may appeal to the superintendent for review.
If you are unsure which district you reside in you can go to Snohomish County assessor page or contact transportation department at 425.335.1508.
Questions may be directed to Patty White, email@example.com or 360.691.7717.