On Friday, October 24, 2014, the Marysville community experienced a senseless and heartbreaking tragedy, one that has rippled beyond the Marysville School District and felt throughout our community, county, state and the nation. Young lives were claimed too soon and we send our deepest condolences to the families involved. We share in the grief of the families and friends of all and we continue to hold the remaining student who is hospitalized in our hearts and minds….(to read more from district communications go here)
Below are some resources to help families cope with Friday’s tragedy:
- National Association of School Psychologists- Tips for Parents
- Helping Children Cope with Trauma
- Helping Youth After Community Violence
- Psychological Information Sheet
3/28 Oso Mudslide Info: See what’s happening local for fundraising
The Granite Falls High School held a fundraiser for the Red Cross this past week, Mountain Way and Monte Cristo Elementary students have made cards for families of Oso and Darrington victims, as well as, for the elementary kids at Darrington Elementary School.
At Granite Station, 109 S. Granite Avenue, on Sunday, March 30, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. events will be sponsored by Randi Mitchell of Rouge Beauty Bar, Wendy Cox of Mac Special T’s and Robin Kapelke of Robin’s Nest. During the day, “Haircuts for Hope” will be held by Rouge Beauty Bar and a special sale at Robin’s Nest will all benefit the victims, with 100% of the profits going to the Red Cross. Additionally, Mac’s Special T’s will have Memorial t-shirts available for $20 with all 100% of the profits going directly to help the victims. Donations of gas cards , diapers, wipes and other necessities will be accepted during this event, and will be delivered next week.
- This weekend (3/28) the Granite Falls IGA is hosting a fundraiser;
- On 3/31, the Pilchuck Espresso stand across from McDonald’s is donating 100% of their proceeds;
- Former Reserve Officer Eadie Hamberlin has been a one-woman relief force, stationing herself at various sites to collect donations, and also on-site at the mudslide. She announces her location on the Granite Falls Cyberwatch Facebook page;
- Ally Nelson and Brenda Ballard are coordinating more fundraising events in April and May. Ally can be contacted through the Granite Falls Youth Coalition;
- GenCare is planning an event, date to be announced.
3/27 Oso Mudslide Info: How to help
3/10 Modified Lockdown: letter from Superintendent