The mission of the Granite Falls School District is to inspire and facilitate a passion for life-long learning and the pursuit of excellence in every student, every day.
Summer Office Hours
The schools are closed for the summer months and will re-open the week of August 17 – 21. The Administration Office will be open through the summer, Monday – Thursday with limited hours beginning June 29 from 7:00am-3:30pm through August 14. You may also call the office at 360.691.7717 for assistance.
High School Teacher Named ‘Regional Teacher of the Year’
A BIG Congratulations goes to Granite Falls High School Manufacturing Teacher, Michael Werner, for being named the “Regional Teacher of the Year” by the Northwest Educational Service District #189. The NWESD offers support and technical assistance to 30 school districts in Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish and Whatcom counties. Teachers of the Year are recognized across the state from each region’s Educational Service District. Werner was selected unanimously by a NWESD committee and is now in the running to receive the prestigious Washington State Teacher of the Year Award selected by an Office of Superintendent Public Instruction (OSPI) committee. Picture Available here>
New Administrators to Lead MCE & GFHS
Three administrative vacancies were filled at Monte Cristo Elementary & Granite Falls High School. With contracts that began July 1, we welcome Heidi Thaut, Kevin Davis and Joey Johnson to the District! The District will host a community ‘meet and greet’ open house night to welcome the new principals on September 22nd from 6-7:30pm at the High School Commons. Please stay tuned for more information. Read more about the new principals here>
Have a Safe & Healthy Summer!
The end of the school year brings summer vacations and a more laid-back way of life. This change in routine and reduced structure can also make summer a time of stress and anxiety for others in our community. We each play a key role in looking out for one another, so here are some reminders and resources to help students, friends and families enjoy a safe and stress-free summer. Reach out and stay connected during the next couple months. There are resources available 24/7–Call. Text. Chat. Get the help you need, when you need it most. For a list of other resources available 24/7, open the Snohomish Health District website here.
Register Your Child for FREE All-Day Kindergarten
Granite Falls School District merits early learning and recognizes the importance of full-day kindergarten for our students. All students who will be 5 years of age by August 31 are eligible to enroll in Kindergarten at Granite Falls School District. We offer a free tuition full-day program at both Monte Cristo and Mountain Way Elementary schools. Registration is available through August 28, 2015. We are now offering Early Entrance to Kindergarten! For those students turning 5 years of age with birth dates between September 1 and October 15, Early Entrance may be permitted based on results of assessments and observations administered by the District. Early Entrance Applications must be mailed or hand delivered no later than July 31 to the Administration Office at 205 N. Alder Ave. Granite Falls, WA 98252. For more information on Early Entrance to Kindergarten including eligibility, the application and assessment process, please visit the Kindergarten Readiness page here>
Important Back-to-School Information
– Are YOU prepared for school to start? Check out this back-to-school check list with helpful suggestions to get back in the swing of things.
– Are you new to the District? Are you transferring schools? Visit the Student Registration/Enrollment webpage for materials needed. Variance forms are available under the Choice Transfer webpage.
– 2015-2016 free and reduced price meal applications are posted on the Nutrition page here>
– School newsletter subscription preferences – More than 2, 000 parents and staff have subscribed to receive our district emails. Have you? If you would like to receive district “SCHOOL NEWS,’ please subscribe here.
-When the decision is made to close school, the district will use the FlashAlert system (in addition to the website, FB page and School Messenger) to provide text message alerts. Click one of the following to establish or update your subscription to FlashAlert.
– 2015-2016 School Supply Lists are available on your school’s webpage or by clicking on the following links: MCE supplies, MWE supplies, MS supplies.
– The 2015-2016 Student Handbooks are posted here>
– The 2015-2016 Calendar is part of the negotiations process with the teachers’ bargaining unit. For tentative important dates, please visit here.
– Bus Schedules/Routes will be posted as soon as they become available. Please check the Transportation webpage.