The mission of the Granite Falls School District is to inspire and facilitate a passion for life-long learning and the pursuit of excellence in every student, every day.
We are pleased to announce that all tentative dates shared by the District for the 2015-2016 school year are officially confirmed dates. The start date will be September 2nd for grades 1-6 & 9 and September 3rd for grades 7, 8 and 10-12. For Crossroads students, the first day will be September 8th. Kindergarten will start on September 11th and preschool/ECEAP on September 14th. The full 2015-2016 Calendar is posted on the right hand side of this page. If you have any questions regarding your child’s school schedule, please contact your school office.
Important Back-to-School Information
– Are YOU prepared for school to start? Check out this back-to-school check list with helpful suggestions to get back in the swing of things.
– Are you new to the District? Are you transferring schools? Visit the Student Registration/Enrollment webpage for materials needed. All new and returning students need to register. Variance forms are available under the Choice Transfer webpage.
-Looking for school start and dismissal times? Visit the school hours webpage.
-MS/HS fall athletic sign-ups started August 17! For more information, visit the Athletics page here>
– 2015-2016 free and reduced price meal applications are posted on the Nutrition page here>
– School newsletter subscription preferences – More than 2,500 parents and staff have subscribed to receive our district emails. Have you? If you would like to receive district “SCHOOL NEWS,’ please subscribe here.
-When the decision is made to delay/close school, the District will use the FlashAlert system (in addition to the website, FB page and School Messenger) to provide text message alerts. Click one of the following to establish or update your subscription to FlashAlert or read more information about school delays/closures here.
– 2015-2016 School Supply Lists are available on your school’s webpage or by clicking on the following links: MCE supplies, MWE supplies, MS supplies.
– The 2015-2016 Student Handbooks are posted here>
– The 2015-2016 Calendar is part of the negotiations process with the teachers’ bargaining unit. For tentative important dates, please visit here.
– Bus Schedules/Routes will be posted as soon as they become available. Please check the Transportation webpage for more information.
Fall Athletic Sign-Ups/Schedules
The High School and Middle School athletic sign-ups began August 17. Parents are encouraged to contact their child’s principal for scholarships if needed to help with participation fees. The Activities Handbook for all schools can also be found on the website (where students will find all the forms needed for eligibility). Schedules are subject to change throughout the season so all conference/league schools have changed over to the Cascade Athletics website. All High School Athletic schedules will be posted on this site, so please refer there for the most current information. You can even sign up to get SMS and email alerts of changes!
– Middle School: contact Lee Ann Draggie (Athletic Secretary) or Dave Bianchini (Principal) with questions.
– High School: contact Debbie Lindahl (Athletic Secretary) or Joey Johnson (Athletic Director) with questions.
High School Teacher Named ‘Regional Teacher of the Year’
A BIG Congratulations goes to Granite Falls High School Manufacturing Teacher, Michael Werner, for being named the “Regional Teacher of the Year” by the Northwest Educational Service District #189. The NWESD offers support and technical assistance to 30 school districts in Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish and Whatcom counties. Teachers of the Year are recognized across the state from each region’s Educational Service District. Werner was selected unanimously by a NWESD committee and is now in the running to receive the prestigious Washington State Teacher of the Year Award selected by an Office of Superintendent Public Instruction (OSPI) committee. Picture Available here>
New Administrators to Lead MCE & GFHS
Three administrative vacancies were filled at Monte Cristo Elementary & Granite Falls High School. With contracts that began July 1, we welcome Heidi Thaut, Kevin Davis and Joey Johnson to the District! We invite the community to join us for an evening of introductions, snacks and socializing! This is an opportunity for you to meet our new principals, as well as mingle amongst other administrators, staff and board members. The District will host a community ‘meet and greet’ open house night on September 22 from 6:00 – 7:30pm at the High School Commons. Please stay tuned for more information. Read more about the new principals here>